AdwCleaner can find and remove the following malware:
- Adware (advertising software) .
- Spyware (spyware) .
- PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Software) .
- Toolbars (toolbars grafted to the web browser) .
- Browser hijackers (browser hijackers that hijack certain web browser options such as the start page or the search engine).
Here’s how to use AdwCleaner to remove all adware, spyware, and PUPs from your Windows PC:
- Download AdwCleaner athen run it. As it is a portable software, you can – if you wish – place the AdwCleaner executable on a USB key in order to launch it easily from any potentially infected PC.
- Click Scan Now button to start scanning for PUPs, adware and spyware on your Windows PC.
After the scan is complete, the scan result displays all detected threats. To learn more about these, click the View Report button . To eradicate them from your system, click Clean & Repair .
In the screenshot above, we see that AdwCleaner managed to detect a lot of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Software). Confirm restarting the computer by clicking Clean and restart now or click Clean and restart later if you have tasks in progress (remember to restart as soon as possible).
Once the PC has restarted, when Windows starts, AdwCleaner tries to remove the threats it has detected . You can see the number of threats it managed to remove and compare it to the number of threats detected.
Click on the View report button to get more information about the threats that have been removed and those that AdwCleaner failed to eradicate from your system.
- Unwanted software is divided into several categories : Services, Folders, Files, DLLs, WMI, Shortcuts, Tasks, Registry, Chromium (and derivatives), Chromium URLs, Firefox (and derivatives), Firefox URLs.
- If threats are still present, run a scan and clean again .
- If AdwCleaner still fails to remove the threats it has detected, use Malwarebytes anti-malware software .
- Advanced users (optional): run basic repairs to reset some Windows settings that might have been changed by malware.